clarifications on certain points have been sought by Govt. servants/Ministries/Departments. The doubts raised by various authorities are clarified as under :
(1) What is the definition of ' Year' & 'Hostel Subsidy' as per the OM No. 12011/3/2008-Estt.(Allowance) dt. 2nd Sept, 2008 on the subject Children Education Allowance?
(i) 'Year' means academic year i.e. twelve months of complete academic session.
(ii) Hostel Subsidy means expenses incurred by the Govt. servant if he has to keep his children in the hostel of a residential school away from the station at which he is posted! or is residing. It may include expenses towards boarding, lodging and expenses as detailed in para (e) of the original OM No. 12011/3/2008-Estt.(Allowance)dt. 2nd Sept, 2008
(2) What IS the amount of reimbursement of Children Education Allowance for the year 2008-09 in the OM No. 12011/3/2008- Estt.(AL) dt. 2nd Sept, 2008?
It may be calculated on prorata basis @ maximum of Rs.I000-per month per child w.e.f. 1st September, 2008.
(3) Whether DOPT OM No. 12011/3/2008-Estt.(Allowance) dated 2nd Sept, 2008 is admissible for reimbursement of Children Education Allowance for pursumg Diploma Course for the initial years in Polytechnic?
In cases where minimum qualifications for admission in the two years Diploma course in Polytechnic is 10th Class and the student joins the polytechnic after passing X class, the reimbursement of tuition fees shall also be allowed for the 1st and 2nd year classes of the above course.
(4) Whether children attending dayboarding, whether attached to schools or not are eligible to draw hostel subsidy?
No. They are not eligible.
(5) Whether the restriction of classes Nursery to class Twelfth as applicable for Children Education Allowance is also applicable for drawing hostel subsidy?
(6) Whether Children Education allowance is admissible for more than two children in case the number of children exceeds two as a result of multiple birth?
Yes, if the number of children exceeds two as a result of second child birth resulting in twins or multiple births.
(7) Whether Children Education Allowance 1 Hostel Subsidy will be admissible during suspension or leave?
The Children Education Allowance or hostel subsidy shall be admissible to a Govt. servant while he/she is on duty or is under suspension or is on leave (including extra ordinary leave). Provided that during any period which is treated as 'dies non' the Govt. servant shall not be eligible for the Allowance / reimbursement / subsidy for the period.
(8) Whether reimbursement of Children Education Allowance as per OM No. 12011/4/2008- Estt.(AL) dt. 11th Sept, 2008 is admissible for disabled Children of Govt. employees who undergoes non formal Education or Vocational Training or other similar instructions?
Yes. As long as a physically Imentally handicapped child studies in any institution i.e. aided or approved by the Centrall State Govt. or UT Administration or whose fees are approved by any of these authorities, the Children Education Allowance paid by the Govt. servant shall be reimbursed irrespective of whether the institution is 'recognized' or not. In such cases the benefits will be admissible between the age limits 5to 22 years.
See original clarification here : http://persmin.gov.in/WriteData/CircularNotification/ScanDocument/12011_03_2008%20-Estt.%20(Allowance.pdf